Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Back In The Saddle

Just to stay in the spirit of the blog, I'll begin by mentioning that Yinny Yin Yin is back in the habit of inhabiting my desk chair. I tried the dry food in the dish trick, but she didn't fall for it. So I'm back on the back-killing bench. Some juggler I am!

It has been decades since I've done any real theatre. Sure, I've built set pieces for theatrical productions, but in a huge shop with twenty other non-theatrical things going on at the same time. I went to two little theatre shops today, where the stuff I build will be set up behind actors who will be rehearsing while I work. One is for The Legend of Sleepy Hollow at Albuquerque Little Theatre, and the other for The Secret Garden for Musical Theatre Southwest. I'm excited to do theatre again.

To top it off, Carmen and I talked it over today, and I'm auditioning for Secret Garden on Saturday. There is a part for a gruff but cute old gardener who sings in my range. It doesn't get any better than that. So I'll be working on scenery and (possibly) acting in the same show. I haven't done that since the early nineties, and not in a real theatre since the mid-eighties. Having something productive to do is wonderful enough. But OOOHHH how I've missed doing theatre!

From 1980 to 87 I was immersed in it. I was working on scenery and rehearsing two parts in Damn Yankees when I met Carmen in 1986. Twenty three years later, I'm doing it again. If I get the part. How can I miss? I'm a gruff but cute old guy who sings in my range!