Saturday, September 12, 2009

Busy Busy Busy

So two things happened yesterday. We opened a checking account, and I applied for one of the strangest job descriptions ever.

First the checking account. You have to have proof of residence to do that. Carmen wanted to wait until she got her driver's license. Fourth time's the charm. The first MVD trip was when we were told we didn't have the correct documents to prove residency. The second time I got my license, but she saw it was a temporary license while one waits for the real one in the mail. She needed a real ID the next day, so she kept her Massachusetts license. The third time she was told that they couldn't accept her Social Security card because she laminated it about thirty years ago. So yesterday she went to the SS office and got an acceptable document, and then she went to the MVD for a driver's license, then we got a checking account- two months and one day after arriving here. Yay.

Now the job. Exhibit Technician, the ad said. Someone who can help us build and install computer-based multi touch tables and custom exhibit installations. Someone with fabrication shop skills, electric skills and some experience with computers. Someone with strong organizational skills to help manage our tools, equipment and small shop space. Additionally... detail oriented, strong verbal and written communication skills, experience with Word and other Office software, basic drafting and design skills, familiarity with CAD, experience working with optical equipment, an understanding of the Windows operating system, a basic understanding of networking and components, programming skills, experience in museums, and an engineering or physics background.

If they don't hire me, I want to meet the person they hire. I figure I've got about 80 percent of what they're asking for. The other twenty usually don't come with a person who operates the saws, routers and drills. I've never met anyone who measures up to what they are looking for, but if I did, I bet they wouldn't want to work for the pay these guys are offering. I would- it's good pay for what I do. But a physics background? I mean I understand the basics of physics, but not to claim as education or experience.

If nothing else, I want to meet these people, just to see if they're as nutty as they sound.