Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Bustin' Out

For years I have been working in a business (there's no business like it) which features totally unpredictable hours and days. There was no way I could commit to anything like a theatrical production. I could have volunteered to help build scenery for a show, but who wants to build scenery all day and then build more scenery during precious time off?

For two months now I've had my name and interest in volunteering my scenic production skills on file with two groups here in Albuquerque. After the apparent fall-through of the only two jobs I've interviewed for, I sent emails to both groups asking what was up with that. Rule number one in volunteer organizations: if someone volunteers you don't leave them hanging, even if hangin's too good for 'em. And then, on Craig's List, there was a call for people who like to sing Broadway songs to audition for upcoming "paid" gigs in Broadway revues at various venues around town. I answered that on Sunday afternoon.

Everybody responded. I did a preliminary phone audition for consideration for a real audition some time during the next couple of weeks. Within seconds after that, both theatre groups invited me to come check out their facilities in preparation for both groups building sets for their next shows. It never rains but it pours.

My next ray of hope came from an ad for a Facilities Tech/Groundskeeper at the New Mexico School For The Blind. It just so happens I was Facilities Tech for the house we lived in in Watertown, Massachusetts, owned and occupied by the Volunteer Coordinator for Perkins School For The Blind. Mike said he'll give me a rating of 17 out of 10 when they call him. So I'm guessing I'll be a busy busy boy soon, even if I don't get the Facilities job. That's a very good thing. One more week of slogging through the dozens of online job search sites, and I'd be slinging this fancy-dancy computer into the Rio Grande.