Thursday, October 29, 2009

Suddenly Winter

It was pouring rain when I left the house for the theatre yesterday morning at 7:00. I trotted out two pieces of technology unused since my public transit commutes in Boston: my Red Wing waterproof boots and my desert camouflage poncho. When I bought the poncho four years ago, I laughed at the desert camo. "This is for all those desert rain storms," I said. Well, yesterday I would have been invisible in the Albuquerque landscape.

The number two bus was right on time as usual, and I played my hand-held Free Cell game as usual on my way down Ventura, east on Academy and south on Eubank. Long about Interstate 40, I looked up from my game and thought I saw a snowflake hit the bus windshield. I kept watching, and soon there were nothing but big fat flakes everywhere. I called Carmen. "Is it snowing there?" No, it wasn't.

I got off at Central Avenue (Historic Route 66) in a blizzard. I put my poncho back on and made my way to the bus stop for the next bus (route 66) and by the time I got to downtown, the snow was rain again. The only visible sign of all that snow is the picturesque dusting of the Sandia Mountains that line the eastern border of Albuquerque.

It's 34 degrees at this time. The kitties have not asked to go outside this morning.