Monday, October 26, 2009

I Love A Piano

One of the big production numbers in Irving Berlin's White Christmas is "I Love A Piano." When we saw it (twice) in Boston, the set changed three times during that song and dance extravaganza. Colby at Albuquerque Little Theatre is hoping to maybe change it once,

Today we finally finally were able to get started on White Christmas. My project today was to modify three pianos. The little prop piano will have kids dancing on it, so I added four more legs to it to keep it from flipping over when they dance. The baby grand is an old real piano that will have adults dancing on it. I added some structure under the lid and attached it to the heavy duty dolly. The console piano will be used in the rehearsal scenes. I changed its straight casters to swivel casters.

If the plan holds, Wednesday I'll either be building the three-section railroad car that will roll on and off stage, or the back wall of the barn with the sliding doors.

I love real theatre. It's good to be back.