Saturday, October 17, 2009

A Glimmer

As some of you know, I have been volunteering at Albuquerque Little Theatre these past few weeks. Yesterday I was hoping to start on the next show, "Irving Berlin's White Christmas" but Colby hasn't yet had his designs approved by the powers that be. There are eleven sets for this show, in a theatre that has no fly capability, almost no wing space, and a very small stage. Any set not in use has to roll out the back into the shop. A big job, and four weeks to get it all ready.

So yesterday I was going down the punch list for "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow," which opens on the 23rd and runs through Hallowe'en weekend. I shored up weak areas of the big 24' X 7' ramp which I built and Colby installed onstage. I built some small platforms on the backside of the big tree on the set so actors can stand behind it and act from the treetop. I built a mirror on a stand for Icabod to do a routine with. I was done at about 3:00, and waited in line to talk to Colby.

When everyone else had scattered to do their thing, I asked Colby what our next move might be. He said, "I probably shouldn't tell you this, but...you know White Christmas is a hell of a lot of work. I'm submitting a contract to the Board to hire you on just for this show, because it needs to be a real nice job, and I can't do it by myself if you get a job or for whatever reason can't volunteer enough hours to get it all done. If they approve it." I smiled and said, "I won't hold you to it. And thank you." Woo hoo! Somebody wants me to build scenery in Albuquerque!