Sunday, October 4, 2009

What The Flux!

My Sunday morning musings were skewed today by two things: being busy busy busy, and my self-torture over yesterday's audition for The Secret Garden.

I have two jobs here at home, apart from the job of looking for a job. I fix South Beach Diet friendly meals for Carmen (She's lost 18 pounds in two months) and I clean the house. So from 6:30 to 8:30 I was cooking breakfast stuff and salad toppings for lunches for the week, and washing dishes. After she left for church, the way was clear to change out the litter boxes, vacuum the whole house, mop the bathrooms, hallway, foyer and kitcken, dust and put everything back together. Then I did my regimen of slogging through job search web sites. All of this was woefully behind because of my re-immersion into the wacky world of theatre. Wednesday I went to Musical Theatre Southwest to talk to them about scenery production, then to Albuquerque Little Theatre to talk to them about the same thing. Thursday I bought my first monthly bus pass before heading to MTS to pick up a loaner script for The Secret Garden. Things take a looooong time by bus here in Albuquerque. Friday I built part of a 24 foot ramp for The Legend Of Sleepy Hollow at ALT.

Saturday I did my vocal audition. I was flabberghasted by how nervous I was. My last audition, back in 1986, I was a little nervous, but it didn't affect my performance. Saturday I was appalled by the sounds coming out of my mouth. I have no idea if I was really as bad as I sounded to me, but I know fo sho that I hated it. The raw shame has subsided some now, but I also know fo sho that for the rest of my life, whenever I am reminded of that audition, I will cringe unto paralysis.

I might still get the part of the gruff but cute old gardener- he is a minor character part who doesn't have to sing pretty. I still fit that bill, I think. Meanwhile, I have a Sleepy Hollow ramp to finish and the Secret Garden sets to start, if the Technical Director ever contacts me.

Meanwhile, I might get a call for an interview with the New Mexico School For The Blind, and from some anonymous cabinets etc. shop downtown that advertised on Craig's List Friday. So I might be busy busy busy all the time soon. Or I might just be moderately busy building scenery on a volunteer basis. At least I'll be doing something outside the house. That's a good thing.