Sunday, November 1, 2009

The Biz

I read my previous postings and had to laugh. I've worked in show business for twenty two years, and still I have the temerity to try to predict what will be going on tomorrow. I went to the theatre Friday ready to finish my 12 foot jacks for the barn wall and start on either the barn or the train. Of course I did neither. There is a lot of business with a telephone switchboard at the ski lodge, so Colby and I dug out an old TV cabinet, disemboweled it, mounted a switchy thing on it, built a cabinet around the switchy thing, and voila! a switchboard. It's magic!

The big news is that last night I went for the strike of The Legend of Sleepy Hollow. An hour and a half of unscrewing and unbolting later, the stage was clear. Now we can stand up the barn walls, hang a traveler track for the cyc, and mount the pivoting set platforms.

Also in the news: Colby's purchasing account has been replenished, so he can buy plywood for the train car set and other needs. Things are poised for action. Now if he can only convince the Board of Directors to pay me for the run of the show, we'll be all set, because if I happen to get a job (I'm applying for two of them as soon as I finish this) he'll be hard pressed to get it all done for opening November 27th.

The one thing I know is that I don't know anything, and that's plenty.