Tuesday, August 18, 2009

My First Abq Job Interview

For old time's sake, I read the Help Wanted ads in the Albuquerque Journal every Sunday. This takes me back to a time when that was the best place to find a job- well, never Albuquerque before, but you knew that. Wonder of wonders, Sunday, August 16th I found one to apply to: Tram Conductor on the Sandia Peak Arial Tramway, the longest tram ride in the world. We rode it our first week here. It dangles from cables and rises to the 10,000 foot peak of the Sandias, the range that stretches along the east side of Albuquerque and turns a bright pink-purple at sunset. Up to fifty people can ride in each of the two cars, and the view is spectacular.

Applications were starting today, Tuesday, at 9:00. I got there at 8:35, and there were three people already filling out apps. I filled mine out, which took a long time due to my out-of-control hands, and took it to the desk. The woman there paged Rod- the guy doing the hiring. He took me to a table at the resident restaurant. We had a good, affable conversation during which he told me what the job really was: everything. Shovel snow, take tickets, work the parking shack, grounds maintenance, clean bathrooms, shine shoes...well, not the shoes, but everything else.

I hope I get the job. Imagine working the Tramway during Balloon Fiesta! I love public speaking, too, which is the primary thing during the fifteen minute ascent to the peak. I think I have a shot. Rod is an old guy with a salt-and-pepper beard.

No comments: