Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Cool Cool Kitty

Last night, as we were getting ready for bed, I remembered to pour some dry food into the cat dishes, to possibly stave off any 3:30 wake-up shenanigans. As expected, there were thundering pawbeats to the dishes. Unexpectedly, there was only one set of paws. No worries. Sometimes Lucia doesn't respond to the call of the dry food. But we didn't see her in any of her usual haunts. My dresser drawers had been closed all evening, so she wasn't in there. I tried the one irresistible Lucia juggling trick. Lucia can hear me pour the filtered water decanter into the percolator from anywhere in the house and HAS to come scrutinize this operation. I did so. No Lucia. "Call the emergency vet!" I said.

Then I got a brain wave. "You don't suppose..." I opened the refrigerator. There she was, on the top shelf, comfortable as you please. For the past several months. about half the time when I open the refrigerator, she leaps in. Normally, it's cat feeding time when I open it, so I'm very aware of cat positions. But last evening, about two hours earlier, I had reached in for two cans of seltzer for our human feeding time. She slipped in unseen, climbed shelf by shelf to the top (knocking over stuff on the way, of course) and took herself a little nap. She seemed perturbed at being "rescued."

This morning, when I went in for canned food, she watched from a distance. Maybe she learned a lesson.

NAAAAH!

1 comment:

Rev. Carmen Emerson said...

Scared the ka-rap out of me!!! She was very lovey-dovey when she came out of there, though...