Thursday, February 25, 2010

Weakly

So maybe that's what I ought to do - think of Cat Juggler as a weekly thing? It is uncomfortable to think about how much there was to write about six months ago and how little there is now. But, as Chance says in "Being There", "There will be growth in the spring." Maybe so.

On Tuesday afternoon I set out on an adventure, to find the Erna Fergusson Library on San Mateo and take the test for Census Enumerators. I walked the quarter mile to the bus stop, caught the 3:49 #2 bus to Montgomery, caught the 4:18 #5 and rode it to San Mateo. From there I walked another quarter mile or so. The test was scheduled for 5:45. I arrived at the library at 4:45. I went for a walk, looking for something to eat. I found Mexican food, of course, but I was dressed nicely and didn't want anything sloppy or too spicy. There was greasy fried chicken. I kept walking until I was worried about making it back in time, and gave it up. I would eat after the test. I caught a #140 bus that dropped me off directly in front of the library. I located the room just as Carmen called to ask if I was done yet.

My tester guy was impressed with several things about me: a) I was the first one there; b) I had already filled out my application and I-9 form online; c)I used my passport as my ID; d) I was the best dressed guy in the room, dressed better than he was; e) I scored a 95% on the test. If he thought I was a shoe-in, it was because he hadn't read my application where it asks if I have the use of a vehicle. The truth is I would for some of the time, but not all, and not predictably. It may not make a huge difference, but the information on the website www.2010censusjobs.gov said that exceptions might be made for people who have no vehicle. If this opportunity falls in the recent normal range, there will be plenty of qualified applicants for whom no exceptions will need to be made. I am still hopeful.

After it was over I turned my phone back on and called Carmen. It was after 7:00 and she was dubious about my plan to make it home by bussing and walking. The #2 doesn't run after 6:00 and the best I could manage was to walk home two miles from Wyoming Avenue. She offered to pick me up at Target at Montgomery and Wyoming. I checked the schedule - the next #5 was in 40 minutes. I set out walking. That is how I learned that it takes 45 minutes to walk from San Mateo to Wyoming on Montgomery. It was a tie.

For some reason, yesterday I got all motivated and posted two Rand McNallys. I even started the story of our two weeks and two days with two cats on the road from Massachusetts to Albuquerque. Once I finish that one, I guess my next will be our move from Albuquerque to wherever in July.

BLOGGER by Google offers (for a fee) to turn your blog into a book. Maybe after I write the Abq to Wherever story, I'll check that out. The Gospel of Rand McNally would be fun to have sitting on the coffee table. Cat Juggler - not so much.