Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Back To Normal

Sunday evening we landed in Pittsburgh after our week in Texas. It was raining. We knew it would be raining in Meadville, because it's usually raining - or snowing - in Meadville. We followed Hermione's directions from the airport to Interstate 79 and hauled our butts on home to our sweet little kitties.

I exited the car out front because the lid was open on the mailbox and there was something behind the storm door on the front door. I pulled a week's worth of wet mail out of the box and closed the lid. As I did so, my next door neighbor Donnie opened his pickup truck door. "Back from vacation just in time for the snow!" he said. "Supposed to get ten inches!" I thanked him for the info and proceeded to get the week's worth of dry newspapers in a special 'end of vacation' plastic bag carefully placed between the front doors by our excellent newspaper delivery geezer - the one who will deliver the paper to the front storm door through a foot of snow at 5:00 in the morning. Which he did this morning.

Yesterday morning at precisely 3:30am, Professor Remus J. Lupin woke me up for breakfast as usual. I looked outside to see about an inch of snow on the road and still pouring. By 8:00am it was about four inches deep. I spent a little over an hour shoveling. Four inches is about the tipping point of the 'shovel vs. snow blower' equation. By the time Carmen came home, about 5:30pm, there were maybe two more inches down. I let it ride.

This morning's feeding (they let me sleep in until 4:01) I looked out to see at least a foot of snow in the driveway. Around 9:00 I snew blew the driveway and front walk. Then I shoveled the steps and walkway to the door. It was snowing to beat hell, and the driveway was a good half inch deep again already. I came in, showered, got dressed and walked to the Orthopedic Associates of Meadville for my 'three months with a new knee' appointment. I got my clearance to return to work and came home.

Diane at Sherwin Williams says I'll be back to work on Monday the 9th.

It's been a long three months recovering from surgery. Feeding kitties, scooping litter, walking around town and shoveling snow let me know that life is back to normal. Whoop-dee-doo.

No comments: