Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Book 'Em!

Being a rolling stone and practically moss-free, it has been difficult to keep up with friends I've left behind - until Facebook. I now have Facebook friends I haven't seen in thirty years, twenty years, ten years, five years and one year. They are in Odenton and Baltimore, Maryland; Vero Beach, Orlando, St. Augustine, Jacksonville, and now Deland, Florida; Greater Boston, Warren and Lowell, Massachusetts; and Albuquerque, New Mexico. I even have a friend I've never met in New Jersey, a friend of a friend, who likes my blogs.

This rose to the surface of my consciousness because I recently got to thinking about my best buddy for nine years at F/X Scenery and Display. I looked him up on FB, but he wasn't there. No surprise. Then I got to comparing this situation with my best buddy from Mystic Scenic Studios for three years. A few months ago I friended his wife to stay in touch with him. And Colby Landers of Abq Little Theatre - I am FB friends with his wife. So I looked up Keith's wife, and sure enough found her. We messaged, and I sent her a friend request this morning. They're curious about how my life is going, and what more comprehensive way to tell them than to refer them to these blogs and update them along with everybody else on Facebook.

It's a pain in the ass and they make Scrabble more and more inconvenient every day, but I still love my Facebook. Over 500 million people do.