Sunday, May 23, 2010

The Long Good Bye

My work on The Best Little Whorehouse In Texas is finished. At the end of this week I'll pick up my check for $500! Woo hoo!!!

Most of the landscaping in our yard is weeded for the big wing ding on June 5th, when the folks coming from out of town and the folks participating in the Ordination ceremony (some are both) will be here in this little house and back yard - all thirty-some of them. This project also entails getting the sliding glass door (we call it the screeching glass door) fixed. Oh well, Marilyn would have to get it fixed before she could sell the house anyway. The rollers are gonzo!

Tomorrow is my big day. At 1:30 is my appointment at the Coumadin Clinic. Ahn will poke my finger and get a reading of my anti-coagulant level. Then I'll have my first (and last?) appointment with the mythical Dr. Garcia, in whose name all of my prescriptions have been written (in Ahn's handwriting.) I'm hoping he takes me off the "rat poison" after six months, as was explained to me back in December.

Then I "race" home on the Albuquerque transit system to get ready for the Ministerial Spouses Dinner with William (Rev. Christine Robinson's husband) and Carlos (Rev. Angela Herrera's husband.) It doesn't sound like my cup of tea at all, but I figure I'll live through it and it will re-enforce my ministerial spouse identity - something that will come in handy for being a ministerial spouse that is active in the congregation in Meadville, PA.

Last Friday afternoon I filled out nine pages of paperwork for my former employer, F/X. They're coming to Albuquerque on June 2nd with a set for KRQE News. My buddy Keith suggested I talk to my buddy Brannen, the Production Manager and my Facebook Friend, about getting on the crew. Of course, the Ordination Department "suggested" I not work on June 4th, 5th or 6th. What with Union relations etc. this means I will be working the 2nd and 3rd only, approximately twenty hours. Hell, it took me almost that long to download, fill out and fax back my application package. You'll be happy to know that I sent along my letter of recommendation from their former general manager, now vice president, in my fourteen-page fax.

One thing that nags at me is that I may no longer have the stamina to work two ten-hour days. A year of NOT working, plus a blood clot have made it difficult to do a lot of anything. My plan is to do a lot of walking during these nine days. I've mentioned in the recent past that I feel as if my career in show business has come to an end. That's fine with me. I accidentally changed careers twenty two years ago to get into the Biz, now I can't wait to find out what the next accident will bring. Of course, being a minister's wife will be job one, but an income would be helpful as well. I don't believe that growing and selling chile peppers will do much in that department. I've already applied to the Meadville Home Depot, a cabinet shop, a portable horse stables rental place, a machine shop... As soon as I post this I'll be strolling over to The Meadville Tribune to see what's new there.

I returned to Facebook on Wednesday. All I did was log in, and everything was as I left it. First, I played the Scrabble move I had abandoned nineteen days earlier. Then I culled fourteen more people from my "Friends," bringing my total to an even twenty nine - including "Strange Women Lying About In Ponds Distributing Swords As A System Of Government," one of my favorite friends. Never posts anything.

Almost a month and a half left here in Abq, not enough time to start anything, and way too long to be saying good bye.